Sunday 28 July 2013

Standing up Tall

I am writing this blog after returning to Brissy with my tail between my legs for another year and battling jet lag at 4am in the morning, perfect blogging opportunity. It hasn't been the greatest week, or the past 5 weeks for that matter. I will keep the chronicle relatively short and as positive as I can to not depress you all.

Last Sunday I competed in the Geneva European Cup, well competed is a little much. I made it exactly 1 step into the race before breaking 2 bones in my right foot. I stepped off the starting ledge onto a small section of rocky beach and just didn't land quite right. I can't exactly remember how it happened but I made it into the water before flopping around in pain. That was the end of my day.



Small section of rocky beach
Hobbling from the water




















I was lucky enough to have some family there watching who I hadn't seen for 5 or 6 months which made the disappointment of the injury a little more bearable. I made the decision not to get scans straight away as the immediate treatment would not alter regardless of whether it was broken or not.

I now sit back in Brissy after Flight Centre Active Travel sprung in action and got me home as quick as possible. An x-ray confirmed 2 fractures (4th and 5th Metatarsals) but with no displacement, a relatively simple recovery...I hope. Six weeks in a boot and crutches should have my foot stronger then ever, ready to attack next hurdle. 


X-ray of my foot

From a negative I will grab a positive. Being able to spend more time at home with my fiancee and Bob the not so little dog is always great and something that will enjoy over the next few months. Some R&R is in order, even a few sneaky glasses of vino.


Bob attacking me
Even though this year hasn't gone to plan I can still take many positives from it. Training was starting to really click so I am definitely not going to give up on my goal of making my second Olympic Games in a second sport.

I would like to thank my amazing sponsors, without their support overcoming the many hurdles put in my way these past years would not of been possible. I hope we can enjoy many more years together.

I will leave you with a quote that a footy coach gave me I when I was 13. I think it fits this situation perfectly.

Cheers,

Mk

Accept criticism and disappointment as a part of life and when it comes, stand up tall, look it in the eyes and say "you can not defeat me, I am bigger than you"

No comments:

Post a Comment